Friday, December 7, 2012

Frustrated!

So... to start with, I went to the ear, nose and throat surgeon and he said just to keep an eye on my lump :) He wasn't worried about and went spent most of the time talking about horses as he used to ride quarterhorses!! Later in the day I had my MRI for my foot/ankle... Then I went to my orthopedic surgeon on wednesday and for some reason I had convinced myself that nothing was going to be wrong and the pain I was feeling was normal...

I was wrong... wayyyy wrong


So there are two peroneal tendons that run from your leg to your foot (around your ankle area)... these are what the normal ones look like

This is what my peroneals look like... as you see one of them (#1) is completely torn! both parts of the tendon retracted so now I have this HUGE gap and frayed ends...


So when I found all of this out I just started bawling my eyes out right in front of my surgeon. I have the most amazing surgeon in the universe and he told me it was going to be alright. Like I have gotten to know him so personally because I have seen him like every week for over 8 months now! I would recommend him to anyone! People from all over come to see him and his team (who are also the most amazing people in the world!). Well anyways enough rambling about my amazing doctor and his team... So after I calmed down he told me I am very lucky to be at Duke Hospital because they are one of the few hospitals in the nation who perform this type of surgery and it's pretty new (3yrs old) but my doctor says he already has some patients running marathons who have had this surgery! This makes me feel better!

So the way he is going to fix me is by taking a tendon from a deceased person and connect it to both side of my tendon (after he cuts out my frayed ends of course). With that being said my tendon will wrap itself around this new tendon! It's pretty amazing stuff! It's the same recovery time as my surgery over the summer so I know what to expect...which means no riding for a long time :(

For now, my amazing friend Miranda is riding Jagger and I am trying to find someone who will rehab Fern back so I can lease him out! I have found someone who can do him for me, unfortunately they are an hour away and I am not sure I want him that far away while he is getting rehabbed... we will see... but I do need to make a decision ASAP as my surgery is the 18th!

No comments:

Post a Comment